What to do about parental alienation after divorce?

If you have children with your ex-spouse, there’s a good chance that co-parenting is your new normal. While it doesn’t always come easy, you must put your best foot forward to maintain stability for your children.

Unfortunately, problems can arise while co-parenting, such as if your ex-spouse talks poorly about you to your children. They do this with hopes of “poisoning” your child and driving them away from you.

If you have concerns about parental alienation after divorce, here are some steps you can take:

  • Talk to your children: Depending on your age, talk to your children about what’s happening and how it takes time for everyone to settle into a groove. It’s particularly important to talk with your children if they have questions or concerns about what’s happening.
  • Talk to your ex: It’s a difficult conversation, as your ex may become angry with you for “calling them out.” However, you don’t want them to think they’re getting away with it. Tell your ex that you know what’s happening and that you want to put an end to it, as it’s affecting your relationship with your children.
  • Don’t fight fire with fire: Even if your ex is belittling you to your children, don’t fight back by doing the same. This will only make matters worse, as both of you are now in the wrong. Stick to what you know is right. You’ll be glad that you did in the long run.
  • Follow your parenting plan: This is another great way to maintain stability, while doing what you can to provide your children with the best life possible. Your parenting plan outlines everything from who has physical custody to how visitation works.

Parental alienation often happens after divorce, so make sure you keep an eye out for this. Should it come into play, don’t hesitate to take the steps above.

If nothing seems to work, you’ll want to review your parenting agreement and consider your legal rights. Depending on what your ex is doing, there’s always a chance you could obtain a modification from the court that originally issued the order.