Danielsen Westhoff, PC

Experienced Family
Law Attorneys In Your Corner Fighting For Your Interests

Preventing an international child abduction

As the world grows smaller and more people move to other countries for education and employment, the likelihood increases that people from different nations will marry and start a family. This can create some complex issues in a divorce, particularly if there are children involved. Colorado parents who have a child with someone from another country should be sure that they understand the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of Child Abduction.

The treaty addresses what happens if one parent takes a child to a different country without the permission of the other parent, and it has been ratified by 98 countries. It only applies in the country in which it is ratified, so the first thing a parent anticipating custody issues should look into is whether the other parent's country is a signatory. According to the Hague Convention, a child should be returned to the country that is the child's habitual residence. It also states that custody should be determined by the country that is the child's habitual residence.

There are situations in which determining which country is the child's habitual residence can be complex. However, parents should not delay in responding if they have an international child custody issue. Acting quickly can be an important element of ensuring that the Hague Convention is upheld.

A parent does not have to wait until an international abduction has occurred to take precautions. Parents who are worried about this possibility may want to talk to an attorney about what protections can be put in place. For example, it can be important to first get a court order in place dealing with custody. An attorney may be able to assist a parent in including certain provisions, such as forbidding either parent from taking the child out of the country.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Meeting Today

When faced with divorce or a child custody dispute, you may feel paralyzed as you grieve the loss of a relationship. But you need to take action. Once we take over the legal issues, you will be able to move toward a new normal.

To schedule a free initial appointment with one of our skilled lawyers, please call 720-739-1770. Sending us an online message is another easy way to get started.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Broomfield Office
10901 W. 120th Avenue
Suite 120
Broomfield, CO 80021

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

Denver Office
50 S. Steele Street
Suite 250
Denver, CO 80209

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

Golden Office
14143 Denver West Parkway
Suite 100
Golden, CO 80401

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

By appointment only By appointment only