Danielsen Westhoff, PC

Experienced Family
Law Attorneys In Your Corner Fighting For Your Interests

Legitimate reasons for requesting support modification

Though you filed for divorce in a Colorado court, it in no way means you were trying to abdicate your parental obligations. Like all good parents, your children's best interests were no doubt a main priority when you began making plans for a new future. When the discussion turned to child support, you were not only willing, but you also wanted to make sure your children would have everything they need as they come to terms with your divorce and adapt to a new lifestyle.

When a Colorado family court judge issues a child support or custody order, both parents must fully adhere to the terms. What are you to do then if life throws a curve ball your way and you're not able to keep up with payments? The most important thing to remember in such circumstances is what it is not okay to do. It is definitely not okay to stop making payments without the court's permission.

You must file a petition

The court recognizes that parents may encounter financial challenges for various reasons. The court might consider a particular reason a legitimate cause for modifying a child support order. Then again, a judge overseeing a particular case can deny a modification request as well. To activate the process, a parent seeking modification must file a petition to formally request it.

You must also show legitimate cause

If you and your ex are always at odds with each other, it does not mean you can take revenge by stopping court-ordered financial supplements meant to provide for your children. Factors the court might consider just cause for seeking modification, however, typically include issues such as an unexpected reduction of income or a remarriage that brings step-children into your home for whom you will be financially providing.

By showing evidence that the custodial parent has enjoyed a substantial increase of income, it may also convince the judge reviewing your case to reduce your current payment amount.

Contempt of court

If you simply stop making payments as an existing court order demands, you can wind up in serious legal trouble, including being held in contempt of court. On the other hand, if you are a custodial parent who wishes the court to intervene because your ex is delinquent in child support payments, you can take legal steps to resolve the problem.

State laws, children's best interests and more

As your kids get older, their financial needs might increase. For instance, a toddler is not likely to have as many expenses as a senior in high school. Every state has its own child support guidelines, which is why it is so important for you to seek clarification before proceedings begin. You and your ex are hopefully like-minded when it comes to working as a team to provide for your children's needs.

You can take comfort in knowing that, if a particular legal obstacle arises, you need not try to handle it on your own.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Meeting Today

When faced with divorce or a child custody dispute, you may feel paralyzed as you grieve the loss of a relationship. But you need to take action. Once we take over the legal issues, you will be able to move toward a new normal.

To schedule a free initial appointment with one of our skilled lawyers, please call 720-739-1770. Sending us an online message is another easy way to get started.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Broomfield Office
10901 W. 120th Avenue
Suite 120
Broomfield, CO 80021

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

Denver Office
50 S. Steele Street
Suite 250
Denver, CO 80209

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

Golden Office
14143 Denver West Parkway
Suite 100
Golden, CO 80401

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

By appointment only By appointment only