Danielsen Westhoff, PC

Experienced Family
Law Attorneys In Your Corner Fighting For Your Interests

Tips for fathers seeking custody or paying child support

Some Colorado fathers who are divorced or who are not married to the mother of their children might feel the system is unfairly against them. While courts are supposed to treat mothers and fathers equally, over four-fifths of custodial parents are mothers. Meanwhile, fathers may face serious consequences for failing to pay child support or might not be able to get access to their children because of a protection order or because they were not listed on the birth certificate.

Most experts agree that even if they are struggling, fathers should try to pay some portion of child support. This may keep the most serious penalties, such as jail time, from being imposed. One man who went to jail because of falling behind on child support lost his job and had to file for bankruptcy. Fathers may want to hire an attorney and ask a court for a modification if they have had a change in circumstances such as a loss of income.

A court will grant a protection order if it believes a parent is unsafe around the children. Parents whose access to their children has been blocked may also want to consult an attorney. Unmarried fathers may need to go through the court system to first prove paternity and then get custody or visitation rights.

It may help a person dealing with family law court to understand a few presumptions the court generally makes. One is that biological parents are obligated to support their children. Another is that decisions about custody and visitation should be made in the best interests of the child. Usually, it is considered in the child's best interests to have contact with both parents, but this is not the case if the child is unsafe with one parent. Courts will also consider which parent is the main caregiver when making a custody decision.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Meeting Today

When faced with divorce or a child custody dispute, you may feel paralyzed as you grieve the loss of a relationship. But you need to take action. Once we take over the legal issues, you will be able to move toward a new normal.

To schedule a free initial appointment with one of our skilled lawyers, please call 720-739-1770. Sending us an online message is another easy way to get started.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Broomfield Office
10901 W. 120th Avenue
Suite 120
Broomfield, CO 80021

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

Denver Office
50 S. Steele Street
Suite 250
Denver, CO 80209

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

Golden Office
14143 Denver West Parkway
Suite 100
Golden, CO 80401

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

By appointment only By appointment only