Danielsen Westhoff, PC

Experienced Family
Law Attorneys In Your Corner Fighting For Your Interests

You can modify your child support payment amount in certain cases

In Colorado, the payments you make for child support are based on both your income and the other parent's income, as well as the earning potential for both of you. These payments are also based on the children's specific monetary needs.

However, what happens if you can no longer make these payments due to a change in your income? In this situation, you may want to seek to modify your child support payment amount. Here is a look at what child support modification entails.

How do you change a child support order?

To change how much you pay in child support, you need to ask for a modification through the court that granted your order for child support. In some cases, you and the other parent will agree on the change you need in the amount you are paying. In this situation, you still have to go to the court to make this change happen.

Of course, if you and the other party do not agree about modifying the payment amount, which is often the case, you both will have to make your arguments regarding the matter before a judge. In general, the court will not allow you to modify your support amount unless you can demonstrate that a substantial change in your circumstances has made modification necessary.

What types of circumstances are grounds for changing a child support amount?

A judge may agree to change your child support amount if you become permanently disabled. Another situation that may require a permanent change in your child support amount is losing your job and claiming another one that pays less than what your former one used to pay. Changes in Colorado family law might also spark a long-term change in the amount you must pay in child support.

Is it possible to change your child support amount temporarily?

The answer to this question is yes. You are allowed to make a temporary modification of your child support amount based on your circumstances. For instance, maybe you have temporarily lost your job, or perhaps you have experienced a medical emergency. Changing your support amount may help you to avoid falling behind in your child support obligations and thus suffering the legal consequences that come with this.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Schedule A Meeting Today

When faced with divorce or a child custody dispute, you may feel paralyzed as you grieve the loss of a relationship. But you need to take action. Once we take over the legal issues, you will be able to move toward a new normal.

To schedule a free initial appointment with one of our skilled lawyers, please call 720-739-1770. Sending us an online message is another easy way to get started.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Broomfield Office
10901 W. 120th Avenue
Suite 120
Broomfield, CO 80021

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

Denver Office
50 S. Steele Street
Suite 250
Denver, CO 80209

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

Golden Office
14143 Denver West Parkway
Suite 100
Golden, CO 80401

Phone: 720-739-1770
Fax: 720-739-1765
Map & Directions

By appointment only By appointment only